Mikhail I. Churnosov
Scientific degree: Doct. Sci. (Medicine)
Academic rank: Professor
Organization: Belgorod State National Research University
Accounts in scientific databases:
E-library Author ID: 117360
ID SCOPUS: 6601948788
Researcher ID: W-1313-2017
Education: graduated from the Kursk State Medical Institute with a degree in general medicine, qualified as a doctor (1993).
Academic degree: Doct. Sci. (Medicine) with a degree in Genetics. Doctoral dissertation on the topic “Genetic-demographic structure and prevalence of multifactorial traits in the population of the Kursk region” was defended in the Dissertation Council of the Medical Genetic Research Center of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences (1997).
Academic title: Professor at the Department of Biology, Medical Genetics and Ecology (2000).
Position: Head of the Department of Biomedical Disciplines at the Medical Institute of Belgorod State National Research University (Belgorod State University)
• Studying molecular genetic basis of human multifactorial diseases
• Studying genetic diversity of the human population.
• Ecological genetic monitoring of the population.
Main scientific results:
• The role of polymorphism of candidate genes, gene-gene and gene-environmental interactions in the formation of frequently occurring human diseases among the population of Russia (the reproductive system of women, cardiovascular pathology, kidney diseases, gastrointestinal tract, ophthalmopathology, etc.) has been established.
• Fundamental data have been obtained on the gene pool structure of the population in Central Russia for a wide range of autosomal, mitochondrial, Y-linked DNA markers, its place in the system of East Slavic, Eurasian and world gene pools has been identified.
• A regional model of a system of preventive measures aimed at reducing the risk of the development of the reproductive system diseases in the female population under the combined influence of anthropogenic, heliophysical and genetic factors has been scientifically substantiated, developed and put into practice.
• Modern scientific achievements in the field of genetic testing are being actively introduced into practical medicine in the Belgorod Region. Since 2002, for the first time in the Belgorod region, in the Molecular Human Genetics Research Laboratory of the Department of Biomedical Sciences of NRU BelSU, molecular genetic diagnostics of perinatal infections, hereditary thrombophilia, and hereditary forms of breast and ovarian cancer have been carried out. More than 8,000 genetic studies are performed annually on more than 1,000 people in the region.
• 4 doctors of sciences and 40 candidates of sciences have been trained under the scientific supervision of M.I. Churnosov.
• Expert of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
• Expert of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research.
• Federal expert in science and technology.
• Member of the Russian Society of Medical Genetics.
• Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences.
• Chief editor of peer-reviewed Research Results in Biomedicine scientific journal
• Member of the editorial boards of peer-reviewed scientific journals: International Journal of Medical Biology (England), Institute of Dentistry (Russia, St. Petersburg)
• Chairperson of the Dissertation Council BelGU.03.01 at Belgorod State National Research University for the defense of doctoral theses and candidate's dissertations with the degree in 03.02.07 – Genetics (medical and biological sciences) and 14.01.06 – Psychiatry (medical sciences). • Head of postgraduate studies in the specialty "Genetics" and clinical residency in the specialty "Laboratory Genetics" at Belgorod State National Research University.
Completed research projects:
• “Study of molecular and genetic bases of human multifactorial diseases” (Grant of the President of the Russian Federation for leading scientific schools of the Russian Federation, Project NSH-2609.2020.7) (head).
• “Study of the involvement of genetic polymorphisms associated with the age of menarche in the development of uterine hyperplastic processes in the population of the Central Black Soil Region of Russia” (Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant No. 15-44-03194) (head)
• “The impact of anthropogenic atmospheric pollutants on the prevalence of congenital malformations among newborns in the city of Belgorod” (Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant No. 17-16-31004) (executor).
• “Development of the molecular genetic basis of multifactorial human pathology (on the cytokine gene model)” (The Federal Targeted Program “Scientific and Scientific-Pedagogical Personnel of Innovative Russia” for 2009-2013, state contract P384) (head).
• “Genetic factors of multifactorial human diseases” (The Federal Targeted Program “Scientific and Scientific-Pedagogical Personnel of Innovative Russia” for 2009-2013, state contract No. 02.740.11.0496) (head).
• “The role of signaling receptors of innate immunity in the pathogenesis of miscarriage of early pregnancy” (The Federal Targeted Program “Scientific and Scientific-Pedagogical Personnel of Innovative Russia” for 2009-2013, state contract No. 04.3493.2011) (executor).
• “Studying history of the gene pool of Central Russia population (according to data on homogeneous and autosomal DNA markers)” (The Russian Humanitarian Scientific Foundation, grant №09-06-55623 a / c) (head).
• “Analysis of the gene pool structure of populations of Central Russia» (The Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 06-06-80179) (head).
• “Ecological and genetic monitoring of Belgorod population” (The Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 06-06-96502) (head). • “A comprehensive study of the gene pool structure of the population of the Belgorod region” (The Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation, grant № 03-06-00409 a / c) (head).
Prizes and awards:
• Winner of the Pogorelov Prize in the nomination "Science" at Belgorod State National Research University (2019). • Honored Worker of Higher School of the Russian Federation (2018).
• Winner of the Shukhov Prize in the nomination "Innovative Medicine" granted by the Governor of Belgorod Region (2018).
• Diploma and Medal of the Association of Inventors and Manufacturers of France in the Competition Lepin, International Salon of Inventions (Paris, France, 2013).
• Honorary title "Honorary Worker of Higher Professional Education of the Russian Federation" (2010).
• Certificate of Merit from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (2006).
• Certificate of Merit from the Chairman of the Belgorod Regional Duma (2010).
• Gratitude from the Head of the Department of Health and Social Protection of the Belgorod Region (2014, 2016).
• Certificate of Merit from the Head of the Department of Education and Science of the Belgorod Region (2002, 2003, 2004).
• The Best Scientist of Belgorod State National Research University in the field of natural sciences (2005, 2008, 2009, 2011).
• Certificate of Honor of the Rector of Belgorod State National Research University (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014).
• Prize winner of the national environmental award "Ecomir-2007" in the nomination "Ecology and Health" (2007).
Major scientific publications:
• Golovchenko O, Abramova M, Ponomarenko I, Reshetnikov E, Aristova I, Polonikov A, Dvornyk V, Churnosov M. Functionally significant polymorphisms of ESR1and PGR and risk of intrauterine growth restriction in population of Central Russia. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020 Jul 28;253:52-57. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2020.07.045. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32777541.
• Ponomarenko I, Reshetnikov E, Polonikov A, Sorokina I, Yermachenko A, Dvornyk V, Churnosov M. Candidate genes for age at menarche are associated with endometrial hyperplasia. Gene. 2020 Oct 5;757:144933. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2020.144933. Epub 2020 Jul 5. PMID: 32640302.
• Polonikov A, Rymarova L, Klyosova E, Volkova A, Azarova I, Bushueva O, Bykanova M, Bocharova I, Zhabin S, Churnosov M, Laskov V, Solodilova M. Matrix metalloproteinases as target genes for gene regulatory networks driving molecular and cellular pathways related to a multistep pathogenesis of cerebrovascular disease. J Cell Biochem. 2019 Oct;120(10):16467-16482. doi: 10.1002/jcb.28815. Epub 2019 May 5. PMID: 31056794.
• Reshetnikov E, Ponomarenko I, Golovchenko O, Sorokina I, Batlutskaya I, Yakunchenko T, Dvornyk V, Polonikov A, Churnosov M. The VNTR polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and blood pressure in women at the end of pregnancy. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 May;58(3):390-395. doi: 10.1016/j.tjog.2018.11.035. PMID: 31122531.
• Jeong C, Balanovsky O, Lukianova E, Kahbatkyzy N, Flegontov P, Zaporozhchenko V, Immel A, Wang CC, Ixan O, Khussainova E, Bekmanov B, Zaibert V, Lavryashina M, Pocheshkhova E, Yusupov Y, Agdzhoyan A, Koshel S, Bukin A, Nymadawa P, Turdikulova S, Dalimova D, Churnosov M, Skhalyakho R, Daragan D, Bogunov Y, Bogunova A, Shtrunov A, Dubova N, Zhabagin M, Yepiskoposyan L, Churakov V, Pislegin N, Damba L, Saroyants L, Dibirova K, Atramentova L, Utevska O, Idrisov E, Kamenshchikova E, Evseeva I, Metspalu M, Outram AK, Robbeets M, Djansugurova L, Balanovska E, Schiffels S, Haak W, Reich D, Krause J. The genetic history of admixture across inner Eurasia. Nat Ecol Evol. 2019 Jun;3(6):966-976. doi: 10.1038/s41559-019-0878-2. Epub 2019 Apr 29. PMID: 31036896; PMCID: PMC6542712.
• Polonikov AV, Ponomarenko IV, Bykanova MA, Sirotina SS, Bocharova AV, Vagaytseva KV, Stepanov VA, Azarova IE, Churnosov MI, Solodilova MA. A comprehensive study revealed SNP-SNP interactions and a sex-dependent relationship between polymorphisms of the CYP2J2 gene and hypertension risk. Hypertens Res. 2019 Feb;42(2):257-272. doi: 10.1038/s41440-018-0142-1. Epub 2018 Dec 5. PMID: 30518987.
• Ponomarenko I, Reshetnikov E, Altuchova O, Polonikov A, Sorokina I, Yermachenko A, Dvornyk V, Golovchenko O, Churnosov M. Association of genetic polymorphisms with age at menarche in Russian women. Gene. 2019 Feb 20;686:228-236. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2018.11.042. Epub 2018 Nov 16. PMID: 30453067.
• Sirotina S, Ponomarenko I, Kharchenko A, Bykanova M, Bocharova A, Vagaytseva K, Stepanov V, Churnosov M, Solodilova M, Polonikov A. A Novel Polymorphism in the Promoter of the CYP4A11 Gene Is Associated with Susceptibility to Coronary Artery Disease. Dis Markers. 2018 Feb 1;2018:5812802. doi: 10.1155/2018/5812802. eCollection 2018.
• Tikunova E, Ovtcharova V, Reshetnikov E, Dvornyk V, Polonikov A, Bushueva O, Churnosov M. Genes of tumor necrosis factors and their receptors and the primary open angle glaucoma in the population of Central Russia. Int J Ophthalmol. 2017 Oct 18;10(10):1490-1494. doi: 10.18240/ijo.2017.10.02. eCollection 2017.
• Polonikov A, Kharchenko A, Bykanova M, Sirotina S, Ponomarenko I, Bocharova A, Vagaytseva K, Stepanov V, Bushueva O, Churnosov M, Solodilova M. Polymorphisms of CYP2C8, CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 and risk of coronary heart disease in Russian population. Gene. 2017 Sep 5;627:451-459. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2017.07.004. Epub 2017 Jul 4.
• Reshetnikov E, Zarudskaya O, Polonikov A, Bushueva O, Orlova V, Krikun E, Dvornyk V, Churnosov M. Genetic markers for inherited thrombophilia are associated with fetal growth retardation in the population of Central Russia. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2017 Jul;43(7):1139-1144. doi: 10.1111/jog.13329. Epub 2017 May 19.
• Polonikov AV, Bushueva OY, Bulgakova IV, Freidin MB, Churnosov MI, Solodilova MA, Shvetsov YD, Ivanov VP. A comprehensive contribution of genes for aryl hydrocarbon receptor signaling pathway to hypertension susceptibility. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2017 Feb;27(2):57-69. doi: 10.1097/FPC.0000000000000261.
• Polonikov AV, Ushachev DV, Ivanov VP, Churnosov MI, Freidin MB, Ataman AV, Harbuzova VY, Bykanova MA, Bushueva OY, Solodilova MA. Altered erythrocyte membrane protein composition mirrors pleiotropic effects of hypertension susceptibility genes and disease pathogenesis. J Hypertens. 2015 Nov;33(11):2265-77. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000000699.
• Kushniarevich A, Utevska O, Chuhryaeva M, Agdzhoyan A, Dibirova K, Uktveryte I, Möls M, Mulahasanovic L, Pshenichnov A, Frolova S, Shanko A, Metspalu E, Reidla M, Tambets K, Tamm E, Koshel S, Zaporozhchenko V, Atramentova L, Kučinskas V, Davydenko O, Goncharova O, Evseeva I, Churnosov M, Pocheshchova E, Yunusbayev B, Khusnutdinova E, Marjanović D, Rudan P, Rootsi S, Yankovsky N, Endicott P, Kassian A, Dybo A; Genographic Consortium, Tyler-Smith C, Balanovska E, Metspalu M, Kivisild T, Villems R, Balanovsky O. Genetic Heritage of the Balto-Slavic Speaking Populations: A Synthesis of Autosomal, Mitochondrial and Y-Chromosomal Data. PLoS One. 2015 Sep 2;10(9):e0135820. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0135820. eCollection 2015.
• Yarosh SL, Kokhtenko EV, Churnosov MI, Solodilova MA, Polonikov AV. Joint effect of glutathione S-transferase genotypes and cigarette smoking on idiopathic male infertility. Andrologia. 2015 Nov;47(9):980-6. doi: 10.1111/and.12367. Epub 2014 Oct 28. • Lazaridis I, Patterson N, Mittnik A, Renaud G, Mallick S, Kirsanow K, Sudmant PH, Schraiber JG, Castellano S, Lipson M, Berger B, Economou C, Bollongino R, Fu Q, Bos KI, Nordenfelt S, Li H, de Filippo C, Prüfer K, Sawyer S, Posth C, Haak W, Hallgren F, Fornander E, Rohland N, Delsate D, Francken M, Guinet JM, Wahl J, Ayodo G, Babiker HA, Bailliet G, Balanovska E, Balanovsky O, Barrantes R, Bedoya G, Ben-Ami H, Bene J, Berrada F, Bravi CM, Brisighelli F, Busby GB, Cali F, Churnosov M, Cole DE, Corach D, Damba L, van Driem G, Dryomov S, Dugoujon JM, Fedorova SA, Gallego Romero I, Gubina M, Hammer M, Henn BM, Hervig T, Hodoglugil U, Jha AR, Karachanak-Yankova S, Khusainova R, Khusnutdinova E, Kittles R, Kivisild T, Klitz W, Kučinskas V, Kushniarevich A, Laredj L, Litvinov S, Loukidis T, Mahley RW, Melegh B, Metspalu E, Molina J, Mountain J, Näkkäläjärvi K, Nesheva D, Nyambo T, Osipova L, Parik J, Platonov F, Posukh O, Romano V, Rothhammer F, Rudan I, Ruizbakiev R, Sahakyan H, Sajantila A, Salas A, Starikovskaya EB, Tarekegn A, Toncheva D, Turdikulova S, Uktveryte I, Utevska O, Vasquez R, Villena M, Voevoda M, Winkler CA, Yepiskoposyan L, Zalloua P, Zemunik T, Cooper A, Capelli C, Thomas MG, Ruiz-Linares A, Tishkoff SA, Singh L, Thangaraj K, Villems R, Comas D, Sukernik R, Metspalu M, Meyer M, Eichler EE, Burger J, Slatkin M, Pääbo S, Kelso J, Reich D, Krause J. Ancient human genomes suggest three ancestral populations for present-day Europeans. Nature. 2014 Sep 18;513(7518):409-13. doi: 10.1038/nature13673.
• Reshetnikov EA, Akulova LY, Dobrodomova IS, Dvornyk VY, Polonikov AV, Churnosov MI. The insertion-deletion polymorphism of the ACE gene is associated with increased blood pressure in women at the end of pregnancy. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2015 Sep;16(3):623-32. doi: 10.1177/1470320313501217. Epub 2013 Oct 22
• Litovkina O, Nekipelova E, Dvornyk V, Polonikov A, Efremova O, Zhernakova N, Reshetnikov E, Churnosov M. Genes involved in the regulation of vascular homeostasis determine renal survival rate in patients with chronic glomerulonephritis. Gene. 2014 Aug 1;546(1):112-6. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2014.04.020. Epub 2014 Apr 13.
• Yarosh SL, Kokhtenko EV, Churnosov MI, Ataman AV, Solodilova MA, Polonikov AV. Synergism between the N-acetyltransferase 2 gene and oxidant exposure increases the risk of idiopathic male infertility. Reprod Biomed Online. 2014 Sep;29(3):362-9. doi: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2014.04.008. Epub 2014 May 14.
• Yarosh SL, Kokhtenko EV, Starodubova NI, Churnosov MI, Polonikov AV. Smoking status modifies the relation between CYP1A1*2C gene polymorphism and idiopathic male infertility: the importance of gene-environment interaction analysis for genetic studies of the disease. Reprod Sci. 2013 Nov;20(11):1302-7. doi: 10.1177/1933719113483013. Epub 2013 Apr 2.
• Ryzhkov II, Borzilov EE, Churnosov MI, Ataman AV, Dedkov AA, Polonikov AV. Transforming growth factor beta 1 is a novel susceptibility gene for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 May 20;38(12):E699-704. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e31828de9e1. • Polonikov AV, Vialykh EK, Churnosov MI, Illig T, Freidin MB, Vasil'eva OV, Bushueva OY, Ryzhaeva VN, Bulgakova IV, Solodilova MA. The C718T polymorphism in the 3'-untranslated region of glutathione peroxidase-4 gene is a predictor of cerebral stroke in patients with essential hypertension. Hypertens Res. 2012 May;35(5):507-12. doi: 10.1038/hr.2011.213. Epub 2011 Dec 8.
• Balanovsky O, Rootsi S, Pshenichnov A, Kivisild T, Churnosov M, Evseeva I, Pocheshkhova E, Boldyreva M, Yankovsky N, Balanovska E, Villems R. Two Sources of the Russian Patrilineal Heritage in Their Eurasian Context. Am J Hum Genet. 2008 Jan 10; 82(1): 236–250. Published online 2008 Jan 4. doi: 10.1016/j.ajhg.2007.09.019
Selected patents for inventions in Russian Federation:
• A method for predicting the risk of developing a combination of uterine fibroids and adenomyosis using genetic data. Patent for invention № 2677866 of 22.01.2019.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing a combination of uterine fibroids and endometrial hyperplastic processes. Patent for invention № 2678970 of 05.02.2019.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing severe preeclampsia, taking into account genetic data. Patent for invention №2653765 of 14.05.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of ischemic stroke, taking into account genetic factors. Patent for invention №2653450 of 08.05.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of endometrial hyperplastic processes based on genetic data. Patent for invention №2650988 of 04.04.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of uterine fibroids. Patent for invention №2650990 of 04.18.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing genital endometriosis. Patent for invention №2650994 of 04.18.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing pre-eclampsia based on combinations of matrix metalloproteinase genes. Patent for invention №2646448 from 03.03.2018.
• A method for predicting the risk of pre-eclampsia in women, depending on the hereditary burden. Patent for invention №2646455 of 03.03.2018.
• A method for predicting the development of early thrombosis of the reconstruction zone after reconstructive operations on the abdominal aorta and lower limb arteries, depending on the genetic variants of hereditary thrombophilia and clinical and laboratory parameters. Patent for invention №2617418 of 04.25.2017.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing essential hypertension based on combinations of matrix metalloproteinase genes. Patent for invention №2624480 of 04.07.2017.
• A method for predicting the risk of formation of chronic true eczema in individuals, depending on the presence of hereditary burden. Patent for invention №2585382 of 05.27.2016.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing hypertension in individuals with hereditary burdens. Patent for invention №2580310 of 04.10.2016.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing primary open-angle glaucoma, stages III-IV. Patent for invention №2580308 of 04.10.2016. • A method for predicting the risk of developing primary open-angle glaucoma in individuals depending on the presence/absence of concomitant non-infectious eye diseases. Patent for invention №2580306 of 04.10.2016.
• A method for predicting the level of intraocular pressure in patients with POAG, depending on genetic data. Patent for invention №2580307 of 04.10.2016.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing complications of chronic true eczema. Patent for invention №2578442 of 03.27.2016.
• A method for predicting the moderate course of chronic true eczema. Patent for invention №2578441 of 03.27.2016.
• A method for predicting the risk of developing chronic true eczema in males. Patent for invention №2574015 of 01.27.2016.